WASHINGTON, D.C., April 26, 2010 – For the 22nd year in a row, GEICO will honor six members of the military with the GEICO Military Service Award for their personal commitment to serving their communities either at home or overseas.
Each of the recipients made a profound impact on their local community by donating their time, talent and knowledge to create a safe environment for their fellow citizens.
"We are honored to present our military troops with these awards every year," said GEICO CEO Tony Nicely.
"We know how proudly and faithfully these men and women serve our country, and we know how much they contribute to their local communities well above and beyond their work schedules. These are outstanding Americans in every sense of the word."
Nicely is presenting the awards during a special ceremony on April 26 in Washington, D.C.
This year’s GEICO Military Service Awards go to:
- Army: Staff Sergeant Jason R. Vickodil will be awarded for his efforts in traffic safety and accident prevention. SSG Jason R. Vickodil created a program that teaches unit soldiers and their families how to perform basic maintenance and vehicle safety checks. SSG Vickodil is currently assigned to Charlie Company, Warrior Transition Unit in Schweinfurt, Germany.
- Marines: Staff Sergeant Christopher C. Fulgium is recognized for his volunteer work in traffic safety and accident prevention. SSgt Fulgium has been instrumental in implementing a motorcycle safety program at MCCES in order to address the high rate of injuries and deaths among Marines. He trains about 800 students a month in the responsibilities of motorcycle ownership, proper registration and the use of personal protective equipment. SSgt Fulgium is currently assigned as a data communications instructor for B Company, MCCES MCAGCC, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
- Navy: Petty Officer First Class Dwayne L. Lowry is recognized for his work in fire safety and fire prevention. Petty Officer Lowry has dedicated over 1,600 hours of off-duty time to the Phoebus Fire Department in Hampton, Va. He has also personally responded to over 500 fire, Emergency Medical Service (EMS) and rescue emergencies. Petty Officer Lowry is currently assigned to V4 Division, USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN-71), Naval Station in Norfolk, Va.
- Air Force: Senior Master Sergeant Michael T. Lund is honored for his work in drug and alcohol prevention. SMSgt Lund incorporated non-obtrusive screening techniques utilized during routine traffic stops. His efforts resulted in zero alcohol related incidents for over 180 days. He is currently assigned to the 86th Security Forces Squadron, Ramstein Air Base in Germany.
- Coast Guard: Seaman Derek N. Luman is honored for his work in drug and alcohol abuse prevention. Seaman Luman has selflessly volunteered his spare time to tutoring and mentoring children at Key West’s Poinciana Elementary School. Seaman Luman highlighted the Coast Guard’s counter-drug mission and ingeniously linked narcotic-interdiction efforts at sea to the end result of keeping drugs out of schools and out of children’s hands. Seaman Luman is currently assigned to Deck Department/Law Enforcement Team, USCGC KNIGHT ISLAND in Key West, Fla.
- National Guard/Reserve: Army Sergeant First Class Joseph Grasso is honored for his volunteer work in fire safety and fire prevention. SFC Grasso shares his firefighting and medical training with others and uses his skills to help injured or ill soldiers. In his local community, he helps to save lives by participating in paramedic education, fire prevention and accident prevention programs. SFC Grasso is currently assigned to the 332nd Transportation Battalion in Tampa, Fla.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.