WASHINGTON, D.C., May 7, 2010 – Prom season is upon us and GEICO knows it can be a dangerous time for teen drivers. Parents should be especially cautious when handing off the car keys to their teen.
As Nashville singer-songwriter Josh Hoge says in his original song, "Drive On," teens often "...wish that life could be a faster ride, but you’ll find out that time goes flying by."
So as your teen heads out the door this year, remind him or her of these simple tips that could help them stay safe on the road:
- Cell phones are for emergency use only on the road—if you have to use your phone, pull safely over to the side of the road.
- ALWAYS wear your safety belt.
- Limit your passengers—the risk of fatal crashes increases with every additional passenger.
- Underage drinking and drug use is illegal—driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can cost you your license—or your life.
- Stay focused while driving—avoid distractions such as loud music, eating or interacting too much with friends.
It’s necessary for teens to practice safe driving habits, as inexperience is a leading cause of most teen auto crashes. For more information on GEICO’s teen driving program, visit www.geicoteendriving.com. See videos, tip sheets, a parent-teen contract to keep both parent and teen accountable for their behavior behind the wheel, as well as information on your local graduated drivers licensing laws.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.