WASHINGTON, D.C., July 1, 2010 – Fourth of July is the time to enjoy America's traditions and festivities with friends and family, but it is important to remember that Independence Day is one of the deadliest driving holidays of the year. The roads will be packed, and distractions can be found around every corner.
GEICO offers the following reminders so you and your family have a better chance of arriving home safely during the holiday weekend:
- Save your text messages for a time when you're not driving.
- Make sure everyone in the car, backseat passengers too, are wearing safety belts.
- Pay attention to how drivers around you are behaving.
- Use your cell phone for emergency situations only; pull over to a safe place to use it.
- In the Washington Metro area, GEICO works with the Washington Regional Alcohol Program (WRAP) as a sponsor of SoberRide, which provides free cab rides as an alternative to drunk driving. People needing a ride can call 1-800-200-TAXI. For more information go to www.wrap.org. Identify the safe ride home program in your area should it be needed for you or a friend.
- Always designate a non-drinking driver before you begin your holiday celebrations.
Drinking and driving remains one of America's deadliest problems. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that in 2008, nearly 500 people were killed in crashes during the 4th of July holidays with 43 percent of them involving a driver above the legal alcohol limit.
So after a day filled with barbeques, fireworks and friends, remember to stay focused on the road and stay safe.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.