WASHINGTON, D.C., Dec. 16, 2010 – Winter is in full swing in many parts of the country, and GEICO knows it can be a dangerous time for drivers. And if your holiday plans include extra travel this season, follow GEICO’s tips to be prepared for one of the busiest driving seasons:
- Take the time to winterize your car by checking your car battery, fluid levels, lights, windshield wipers, tires and brakes.
- Don’t let your gas tank get close to empty; you don’t want to run out if you get stuck in traffic – or a snow bank.
- In addition to keeping a safety kit in the car, have insurance information close by for roadside assistance.
- Make sure your headlights and tail lights are clean to provide more visibility during dark winter days.
- Get ample rest before your journey, and stay alert for traffic pattern changes, stopped vehicles and deer crossings.
- Be aware of distracted drivers – and avoid being one yourself!
- Remember to share the road with commercial vehicles, as they are heavier than the average car. You should avoid cutting in front of trucks and braking suddenly, as they need more room to stop.
For more information on winter weather driving, please visit http://www.geico.com/information/safety/auto/cold-weather-travel-safety/.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.