WASHINGTON, D.C., June 28, 2011 – The month of June is typically filled with joyful occasions such as family barbecues, graduations and weddings; kids enjoy being on summer break, pools open across the country, and everyone welcomes the warm weather.
Unfortunately though, it’s not all sun and sand. GEICO officials remind that June is the start of hurricane season, so it’s important to prepare your family, yourself and your vehicle in case tropical storms roll in.
These tips from GEICO may help if a hurricane is in your long-range or short-term weather forecast:
When you’ve got time to prepare...
- Store an emergency kit of supplies in your car that includes water, batteries, blankets, a First-Aid kit, and other safety items you may need upon evacuation.
- Gather cash, credit cards, insurance information, important documents and contact information.
- Keep your gas tank filled in case of an emergency evacuation; it’s one less thing to worry about at a crucial time.
- Know your city’s evacuation plan.
- Have a battery-operated radio with you to listen to news/weather reports and updates.
- Keep a supply of necessary medication on hand.
- Develop a family plan so that everyone knows how to get in touch with each other if they’re separated.
When a hurricane or tropical storm is not far off...
- Listen to your local safety officials and take their directions seriously.
- Try and move your car to a covered location so that it’s out of the way of any trees or objects that may fall. If that’s not an option, do not park it in a low-lying location that’s prone to flooding. Also consider wrapping a tarp around the vehicle to help prevent any water damage.
- If you are asked to evacuate, never drive through standing water more than six inches deep; it could cause you to lose control of your vehicle.
By taking these few important steps, vehicle owners will have a better chance of protecting their families, themselves and their vehicles.
Visit www.geico.com for more information hurricane preparedness, purchasing a policy and for information on filing a claim.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.