WASHINGTON, D.C. – December 27, 2011 – With more cars on the highways and extreme weather conditions in some parts of the country, it’s important for teens to stay focused on the roads during this holiday season. GEICO is encouraging teens to use caution to avoid accidents during this time of the year.
Here are some of those important safety tips for all drivers:
- Take the time to winterize your car. Make sure the car battery, fluid levels, lights, windshield wipers, tires and brakes have all been checked before driving the car.
- Don’t let your gas tank get close to empty. You don’t want to run out if you get stuck in traffic – or a snow bank.
- No texting and driving. You should only use your cell phone in case of an emergency – and then you should pull safely over to the side of the road to use it.
- Limit your passengers. The risk of a fatal crash increases with every additional passenger.
- Wear your seat belt. Make sure everyone in the car is buckled up.
- Get some rest. Pull over immediately to rest if you’re feeling tired.
- No drinking and drug use. Underage drinking and drug use are illegal – and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can cost you your license – or even your life.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.