WASHINGTON, D.C., February 2, 2012 – Super Bowl Sunday on Feb. 5, is one of the biggest and most entertaining sporting events in the country. Friends and families come together to socialize and watch the big game. With all the fanfare and hoopla, Super Bowl Sunday has also become one of the nation’s most dangerous days on the roadways due to traffic incidents involving impaired driving. GEICO is reminding football fans to make the right call to ensure that you and your guests have a great time and enjoy the game.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.), the most recent figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), states that in 2010, alcohol-impaired-driving accounted for 31 percent of motor vehicle traffic fatalities that year. On Super Bowl Sunday, 48 percent of the traffic fatalities were a result of alcohol-impaired-drivers with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or higher.
GEICO, along with I.I.I., recommend the following safety tips:
If you are hosting a Super Bowl Party:
- Make sure that your guests have a designated driver in advance or help to arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
- Serve lots of food and be sure to include plenty of non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies on file and take the keys away from anyone who may be willing to drive while impaired. Insist that they sleep at your home.
- Remember, you can be held criminally liable if someone you served alcohol to ends up in an impaired-driving crash.
If you are attending a Super Bowl Party:
- Assign a designated driver before the party begins and give that person your car keys.
- Pace yourself and avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Eat enough food and alternate drinks with non-alcoholic beverages.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you; or just stay where you are until you are sober.
Remember to always use your seat belt – it’s your best defense against impaired drivers.
Please keep in mind that most jurisdictions will put additional officers on the road, specifically to enforce drunk driving laws during Super Bowl weekend. For more information on safe driving, visit the Auto Safety section on geico.com.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 12 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.