Washington, D.C., April 17, 2012 – In recognizing April as National Financial Literacy Month, GEICO is encouraging this year's college graduates to learn how to manage their finances as they begin a new chapter after graduation.
Here are a few tips on how to be financially fit and save money:
- Develop a financial plan and budget – Identify your long-term goals, establish a budget and save regularly.
- Save your money – Set up a savings plan with your bank or credit union. Many financial advisors suggest saving up to six months of living expenses in case of an emergency.
- Pay bills on time – You can avoid late fees and high interest payments, which can add up and make it harder to pay down the balance. Paying bills on time is noted by lending institutions.
- Monitor your credit report – Credit scores are often considered when you apply for a job, an insurance policy, car loan, or an apartment, so it’s good to monitor your credit report for any discrepancies or identity theft.
- Choose the right insurance plan – Whether it’s for your car, apartment, health or life, make sure you have the right coverage that will protect you and your finances.
“It’s important for the younger generation to establish and maintain good financial habits after graduation and beyond,” said Mike Campbell, GEICO’s chief financial officer. “This would not only help them save money, but it will also help them prepare for a solid financial future. These are also good reminders for everyone.”
GEICO provides a number of life planning tools and financial calculators available for the public.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.