WASHINGTON, D.C., June 1, 2012 – Although hurricane season officially starts today, Tropical Storm Alberto formed off the coast of South Carolina last month, making it the first named tropical storm of the year. Alberto serves as a reminder that it’s never too early to start preparing for hurricane season.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), federal forecasters are predicting there will be nine to 15 named storms this year, and nearly half of them could be hurricanes. As water temperatures rise and help set up tropical storm conditions, GEICO is reminding people how to protect their homes, vehicles and families during hurricane season:
- Hurricane-proof your home. Install storm shutters and make sure all windows and doors are properly secured with the appropriate hinges and bolts.
- Create a home inventory. Conduct a full inventory of all your major possessions and snap photos of all your home’s contents. Not only would this will help determine if you have enough coverage, but also help speed up the claim process.
- Get the right type of insurance. Make sure you have enough insurance to rebuild your home and to replace all of your personal belongings. Since flooding is not covered by a homeowner’s policy, consider purchasing flood insurance.
- Create an evacuation plan for your family. Have an out-of-state friend as a contact, so everyone has a single point of contact. Keep your vehicles filled with gas and keep cash on hand. If you are forced to leave your vehicle, put it on blocks and wrap it with tarps to keep the water out.
- Create a disaster supply kit. This supply kit should include a manual can opener, blankets, clothing, toiletries, prescription drugs, first aid kits, flashlights, a tool set, batteries, radios and pet care items.
- Have your insurance information handy. Know how to contact your insurance company. You should keep your insurer’s phone number and email address with you as all times, as well as your insurance policy number.
For more information on how to protect your family, home and vehicle for severe weather, please visit Insurance Information Institute website and GEICO’s online catastrophe center at www.geico.com/claims/catastrophe-center/.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.