WASHINGTON, D.C., December 18, 2012 – ‘Tis the season for holiday travels and GEICO is encouraging all drivers to be prepared for dangerous road conditions. With more cars on the highways and extreme weather conditions in some parts of the country, it’s important for drivers to stay focused on the roads during this holiday season.
Here are some of those important safety tips for all drivers:
- Take the time to winterize your car. Make sure the car battery, fluid levels, lights, windshield wipers, tires and brakes have all been checked before driving the car.
- Don’t let your gas tank get close to empty. You don’t want to run out if you get stuck in traffic – or a snow bank.
- Check your headlights and tail lights. Make sure your lights are clean to provide more visibility during dark winter days.
- No texting and driving. You should only use your cell phone in case of an emergency – and then you should pull safely over to the side of the road to use it.
- Get some rest. Before you start your journey, be sure to get plenty of sleep so that you can stay alert for traffic pattern changes, stopped vehicles and deer crossings.
- Slow down. You should try to maintain a following distance of three seconds between you and another car. You should avoid cutting in front of trucks and braking suddenly, as they need more room to stop.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.