WASHINGTON, D.C., January 29, 2013 – Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner and millions of people will soon tune in to watch one of the biggest sporting events of the year. Whether you’re hosting or attending a party, GEICO encourages all football fans to play it safe on Super Bowl Sunday – particularly when it comes to drinking and driving.
More than 30 percent of all fatalities were alcohol-related in 2011, according to the most recent figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. To help prevent future fatalities, GEICO, along with NHTSA, recommends the following tips for Super Bowl fans:
If you’re hosting a Super Bowl Party:
- Make sure that your guests have a designated driver in advance or help to arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
- Serve lots of food and be sure to include plenty of non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies on file and take the keys away from anyone who may be willing to drive while impaired. Insist that they sleep at your home.
- Remember, under some state social liability laws, you can be held responsible if your guests drink and drive.
If you’re attending a Super Bowl Party:
- Assign a designated driver before the party begins and give that person your car keys.
- Pace yourself and avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Eat enough food and alternate drinks with non-alcoholic beverages.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you; or just stay where you are until you are sober.
- Remember to always use your seat belt – it’s your best defense against impaired drivers.
Please keep in mind that most jurisdictions will put additional officers on the road, specifically to enforce drunk-driving laws during Super Bowl weekend. For more information on safe driving, visit the Auto Safety section on geico.com.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 11 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.