WASHINGTON, D.C., July 1, 2013 – Fourth of July celebrations are gearing up across the country and many Americans are planning to show their patriotic spirit by attending firework shows, family gatherings, parades and barbeques. Before heading out during this holiday weekend, GEICO reminds drivers to be extra cautious as roads are exceptionally busy and distractions are everywhere.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Fourth of July is one of the deadliest holidays of the year, accounting for 251 fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes during the holiday in 2011. To help prevent accidents on the roads, GEICO offers these simple tips for drivers to ensure a safe Fourth of July weekend.
- Buckle up. Wear your safety belt and tell your passengers to do the same.
- Don’t speed. Everyone is in a rush to get somewhere during the holiday. Take your time and plan ahead for any expected traffic or bad weather.
- Don’t text or use your cellphone while driving. Pull over and use your cellphone for emergency situations only.
- Don’t drink and drive. Fourth of July is one of the deadliest holidays of the year due to alcohol-impaired-driving crashes. Always designate a non-drinking driver before you begin your holiday celebrations.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Although you might be following the rules of the roads, other drivers may not.
- Speak up. Whether it’s a friend or family member, don’t be afraid to take someone’s keys if they have over indulged.
In the Washington Metro area, GEICO works with the Washington Regional Alcohol Program (WRAP) as a sponsor of SoberRide, which provides free cab rides as an alternative to drunk driving. People who need a ride can call 1-800-200-TAXI or visit www.wrap.org.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 12 million private passenger customers and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
GEICO's online service center helps policyholders take care of policy sales, policy changes, claims reporting and to print insurance ID cards.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for boats, life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.