What is Auto Insurance?
It is an agreement between you and your insurer in which you pay the insurance company a certain amount of money and, in return, the company will help protect you from major financial losses due to an accident for a given period of time.
Have you ever compared insurance rates with a friend or a family member only to discover your premiums are different? Check out this video on how auto insurance rates are determined.
Why Do You Need Auto Insurance?
Auto accidents can happen – even to the best drivers. Insurance can help cover repairs to your vehicle and medical costs. Insurance is your firewall against economic disaster should you cause an accident and there is property damage or injuries to other people.
What is Auto Insurance Coverage?
An auto insurance policy is a package of several primary coverages. The coverages may vary depending on the state where you live. Your premium payment is the total of these separate coverages for a given period of time.
What are the coverages?
- Bodily injury liability coverage – pays for bodily injury or death resulting from an accident for which you are at fault and in most cases provides you with a legal defense.
- Property damage liability coverage – provides you with protection if your car accidentally damages another person's property and in most cases provides you with a legal defense.
- Medical payments, no-fault or personal injury coverage – usually pays for the medical expenses of the driver and passengers in your car incurred as a result of a covered accident regardless of fault.
- Uninsured motorist coverage – pays for your injuries and, in some circumstances, certain property damage caused by an uninsured or a hit-and-run driver. In some cases, underinsured motorist coverage is also included. This is for cases in which the at-fault driver has insufficient insurance.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage – pays for damage to your car from theft, vandalism, flood, fire, and other covered perils.
- Collision coverage – pays for damage to your car when it hits or is hit by another object.
In addition to these basic coverages, GEICO offers:
Why should I buy my auto insurance from GEICO?
- Most customers save money because we offer some of the best auto insurance rates around.
- You can reach us any time, day or night, any day of the year.
- You deal directly with GEICO.
- Policyholders like our service: consumers consider us among the top five best car insurance companies in customer satisfaction.
- We settle claims quickly and fairly.
When your son or daughter is ready to leave your GEICO policy for a GEICO policy of his or her own, they may continue to receive the same great rates. Learn more.
The above is meant as general information and as general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. We encourage you to speak to your insurance representative and to read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.