While you hope to never use your car insurance, the fact remains that accidents do happen. Here is what you need to do if you are in a fender-bender.
- Stop driving. Make sure there are no injuries. If you aren't sure, call for emergency help right away.
- Call the police. Even if it is a minor collision, call the police to file a report.
- Document. Write down the tag number, driver's license number, description of the vehicle and any other pertinent information as soon as possible. Often a witness or others at the scene will leave once they know there are no injuries, but they may have valuable information in the event of a dispute.
- Get Copies. Obtain a copy of the police report from the officer on duty. You will need to submit it to your insurance company.
- Don't drive. If there are any injuries or if the car has more than very minor damage, then have the vehicle towed. Don't risk driving the vehicle if you aren't sure. It could cause more damage or even injury.
- Inspect. Before continuing to drive the vehicle, have a full inspection performed and allow an auto damage adjuster to look at the vehicle and assess any damage to it.
- Notify GEICO. Contact us in the event of a loss or claim on the vehicle. You can do this by calling GEICO or going to the Online Claims Center on geico.com.