University of Maryland University College
GEICO has established a scholarship program at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC) for the spouses and children of federal government employees and military service members.
The UMUC scholarship was originally funded through GEICO's Philanthropic Foundation with an endowment of five $1,000 scholarships for the 2011 academic year. In future academic years, the number of scholarships will be based upon earnings from the scholarship's endowment, which are projected to fund five $1,000 scholarships on an annual basis.
GEICO and Federal Government Employees
"It's an honor to provide scholarships for the spouses and children of our federal and military personnel," said Don Lyons, GEICO senior vice president. "The new scholarship provides an opportunity to help further their secondary education and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to the federal and military marketplace."
Eligibility for the GEICO Federal/Military Scholarship includes:
- Spouses and children of federal employees grades GS-1 through GS-15, and all active-duty enlisted military members
- Students who demonstrate financial need
- Undergraduate students only
- Students with a grade-point average of 2.8 or higher
- Students enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the award period at UMUC
- All UMUC students — U.S. and overseas
Check out scholarship and application information at umuc.edu.