The Golden State
Moved to California? Register your vehicle
Your vehicle may be subject to California registration from the date of entry. Fees must be paid within 20 days from the date the vehicle entered California to avoid penalties.
You will need to:
- Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
- Submit your out-of-state registration certificate
- Submit your out-of-state title (If you have it)
- Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
- Provide an odometer mileage certification (If your vehicle is less than 10 years old)
- Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (For your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV)
- Pay the fees
- Commercial vehicles, including pickup trucks, may also require a weight certificate.
Existing law imposes a use tax on a vehicle purchased outside of California and brought into California within 90 days of purchase. New legislation effective October 1, 2004 through July 1, 2006 requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.