The Bay State
Get a Massachusetts driver's license
You must provide the Registry of Motor Vehicles with your current out-of-state photo license and proof of your current Massachusetts residency.
- You must present the following:
- SSN Card or valid, current, U.S. or non-U.S. Passport.
- Out-of-state license. If your out-of-state license does not have a photo, you must present acceptable photo ID from the list of primary and secondary documents.
- Document proving date of birth.
- Document proving signature.
- Document proving Massachusetts residency.
- Note: An out-of-state license presented as one of the ID documents can be used as a primary document to confirm signature or date of birth. It cannot be used to confirm both.
- You must also clear a check through the National Driver Register and pay the required fees.
- If you have a license from Canada, Mexico, or U.S. Territory (including Puerto Rico), you must present a driving record not more than 30 days old.