The Land of Enchantment
New Mexico Defensive Driver Discount
If your policy is rated for the state of New Mexico, you could save up to 20% on applicable coverages by taking a defensive driving course. One way to take advantage of this discount is through an online defensive driving course offered by either the National Safety Council or the American Safety Council.
Completing one of these defensive driving courses offers you the following benefits:
- Discounted price of $19.95 for GEICO policyholders.
- Convenient processing. After successful completion, the course completion number will automatically be sent to GEICO. Your policy will then be updated to reflect the discount.
Exception: If your auto insurance ID card indicates GEICO Indemnity Company or GEICO Casualty Company, your policy will not be modified mid-term to allow the application of the discount. It will be applied at the next renewal and continued until the renewal following the 36-month expiration of the certification.
In New Mexico, you may be eligible for this discount if:
- You are age 50 or older; and
- You have voluntarily completed a motor vehicle accident prevention course meeting the standards established by law or that is otherwise acceptable to GEICO.
You may not be eligible for this discount if:
- You are required to carry a certificate of financial responsibility (SR-22) in conjunction with an at-fault accident or violation and your auto insurance ID card indicates Government Employees Insurance Company or GEICO General Insurance Company.