The Empire State
Register your car
Did you know that New York State proof of insurance must be presented to the DMV at the time you register your car? Also, the auto insurance card must be in the name of the registered owner of the car.
In order to register your vehicle in New York state you must bring to the DMV:
- Proof of ownership
- Odometer and damage disclosure statements if the vehicle is 8 years old or newer
- NY state insurance identification card (FS-20)
- Proof of your identity and date of birth
- Form MV-82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application)
- Proof of sales tax payment, sales tax exemption or purchase price
New York Auto Insurance
Moving to NY? Buying a new car? In addition to registering your car, now is a great time to learn about minimum insurance coverages and other state requirements for New York auto insurance.
GEICO is the #1 auto insurer in New York. Not a GEICO policyholder? Get a NY car insurance quote online.