The Palmetto State
For New Residents of South Carolina
If you move to South Carolina from another state, you have 45 days to transfer your vehicle title and registration. You may apply for the title and registration by mail. The Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration, which must be completed, contains the proper mailing address for the department.
You must have the following to transfer your out-of-state vehicle title and registration:
- Your out-of-state vehicle title and registration. If there is a lien on your vehicle, you must bring the name and address of the company that holds the lien.
- Liability Insurance information. You must provide the name of your automobile liability insurance company, not the name of the agent.
- Completed Form 400, Application for Certificate of Title/Registration. To complete the form, you must have your vehicle odometer mileage reading and any current lien information.
- Paid Property Tax Receipt. Before you can register your vehicle in South Carolina, you must first pay the property taxes that are required in the county in which you reside.
- Title and Registration Fees.
You may use a valid driver's license from your former state for up to 90 days. However, you must convert to a South Carolina driver's license before the end of the 90-day period. If your driver's license from your home state has expired, you must also pass the knowledge and road tests.