The Volunteer State
Tennessee Defensive Driver Discount
If your policy is rated for the state of Tennessee, you could save up to 10% on applicable coverages by taking a defensive driving course. One way to take advantage of this discount is through an online defensive driving course offered by either the National Safety Council or the American Safety Council.
Completing one of these defensive driving courses offers you the following benefits:
- Discounted course price of $19.95 for GEICO policyholders.
- Convenient processing. After successful completion, the course completion number will automatically be sent to GEICO. Your policy will then be updated to reflect the discount.
In Tennessee, you may be eligible for this discount if:
- You are 50 years of age or older; and
- You have voluntarily completed a defensive driving course meeting the standards established by the National Safety Council (NSC) (Government Employees Insurance Company and GEICO General Insurance Company drivers) or a motor vehicle accident prevention (defensive driving) course approved by the Commissioner of Safety (GEICO Indemnity Company and GEICO Casualty Company drivers).
You may not be eligible for this discount if:
- You are required to carry a certificate of financial responsibility (SR-22) and your auto insurance ID card indicates Government Employees Insurance Company or GEICO General Insurance Company; or
- You have had a suspended or revoked license or an at-fault accident within the previous three years and your auto insurance ID card indicates GEICO Indemnity Company; or
- You took the defensive driving course pursuant to a court order and your auto insurance ID card indicates GEICO Indemnity Company.