The Volunteer State
Moved to Tennessee?
New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license must obtain a Tennessee driver license no later than thirty (30) days after establishing residency. All out-of-state driver licenses must be surrendered. Tennessee law does not allow a resident of this state to hold more than one valid driver license.
New residents must provide:
- Two proofs of their current valid Tennessee residence address.
- Proof of citizenship or legal presence.
- Social Security Number.
To register your vehicle you must:
- File an application for Certificate of Title and Registration with your resident county clerk.
- Get your vehicle tested for emissions if necessary and obtain an emissions certificate.
- Pay required fees.
- Provide your most current out-of-state registration.
- Provide the name and address of the lienholder, or furnish your out-of-state title.
- Provide proof of identity and residency.