Auto Insurance Coverage in Texas – Need to Know
The saying goes “Drive Friendly – The Texas Way” and at GEICO we couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately, 15-20% of Texas drivers are uninsured, so keep the following facts in mind to protect yourself and stay safe on the road. To learn how much your insurance rates will be, you can start your Texas auto insurance quote online, or call us at 1-800-947-AUTO (2886).
- Texas law requires every driver to carry minimum liability insurance coverage.
- Proof of auto insurance is required for car inspection, registration and some driver license transactions.
- The fine for driving without insurance can be up to $350. A repeat offender can lose their license for two years.
- To help reduce the number of uninsured motorists and cut costs for responsible drivers, your insurance and vehicle information is verified with a statewide database – called TexasSure – which is designed to quickly identify vehicle owners without mandatory insurance coverage.
Learn More About The Required Coverages For Texas Auto Insurance
If you just moved or are about to move to Texas, or have lived in the same area all your life, every driver in the state needs to know what’s required for auto insurance before getting behind the wheel. In Texas, the required car insurance coverages are:
- Bodily Injury Liability: Minimum legal requirement $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident
- Property Damage Liability: Minimum legal requirement $25,000
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Minimum legal requirement $2,500 unless you reject this coverage
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: Minimum legal requirement $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident unless you reject this coverage
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: Minimum legal requirement $25,000 and a $250 deductible unless you reject this coverage
Additional Car Insurance Coverage Options in Texas
If you need full coverage on your vehicle in TX, your policy will include comprehensive and collision coverage. You may also want protection from uninsured and underinsured drivers, and coverage for medical payments.
Uninsured (and Underinsured) Motorist pays damages that you, household relatives and passengers in the insured vehicles are legally entitled to recover because of bodily injury or death caused by uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run vehicles.
Medical Payments coverage protects you or any passenger while occupying your covered auto when struck by another vehicle. If PIP is rejected, you may choose to select a similar coverage called Medical Payments instead.
Moving to Texas?
According to the TX DMV, you have 30 days from the time you move to Texas to register your car. Also, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles does not issue driver licenses. To obtain a driver’s license, please contact the Texas Department of Public Safety (TX DPS).
Additional information for your city
Texas drivers know that driving is very different depending on the city they’re in. What you need for car insurance in Houston may be different than your needs for car insurance in Austin. Or if you move from Dallas to San Antonio, you may need to review your auto insurance coverage. Be sure to gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision about your car insurance needs.
Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance
Are you going to be traveling by car to Mexico? As a GEICO auto policyholder, we can help you obtain auto insurance for your trip to Mexico!
For Parents of Youthful and Teenage Drivers in Texas
All drivers 18 years of age and under must meet the licensing requirements for a learner or provisional driver license, but they are also subject to additional requirements, including graduated driver licensing and driver education. Additionally, Texas DPS may not issue a driver license to a person who is under 25 years of age unless the person successfully completes an approved driver education course. Teens and young adults under 25 may meet this requirement by completing courses offered by private commercial driving schools, through public schools, or through an approved parent taught program.