The Mountain State
New to West Virginia? Get a driver's license
After establishing residency, new residents who want to drive in West Virginia must apply for a West Virginia driver's license within 30 days.
- If you have a valid non-expired out-of-state license, you are eligible to transfer the license
- You are required to pass a vision test
- You must complete a brief alcohol awareness course
- You must surrender your out-of-state license before a West Virginia license will be issued.
- A transfer applicant must present all acceptable documents that are required for a first-time applicant.