GEICO reminds holiday shoppers to stay alert in parking lots and garages
WASHINGTON, D.C., Dec. 13, 2013 – Holiday shopping means tons of traffic at malls, retail stores and on the roads, and GEICO urges shoppers to be on high alert, especially in crowded parking lots and garages.
Tips for drivers:
- Stay alert. Always watch for any pedestrians or children, especially when backing out of a parking space. Don't assume they see you.
- Slow down. Don't speed through parking lots and garages. Drive slowly when entering and leaving parking spaces, lots and garages.
- Be patient. Avoid the "parking space war" and be courteous to other drivers preparing to park.
- Be aware of other vehicles. Make sure the way is clear before turning or pulling into a parking space.
- Pay attention. Don't talk, text or use other electronic devices while driving.
Tips for pedestrians:
- Stay alert. Be aware of your surroundings and watch for cars entering or exiting parking lots and garages.
- Keep your distance. Don't walk behind vehicles that are backing out of parking spaces.
- Be visible to drivers. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach you to make sure you are seen.
- Stay on guard. Watch for any suspicious people or vehicles in parking lots and garages.
- Pay attention. Don't talk on the phone or text while walking.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 14 million private passenger customers and insures more than 23 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.