GEICO reminds football fans to be responsible and stay safe on game day
WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 31, 2014 – Football fans are well into making plans to watch the big game on Sunday, Feb. 2. Animal lovers are also gearing up to see their favorite puppies play in Animal Planet's PUPPY BOWL X at the GEICO Stadium on Sunday as well.
Whether you're hosting a game-day and puppy league party or attending someone else's, GEICO advises fans to take necessary steps to be responsible and safe this Sunday.
Keep in mind that if you do host an event where alcohol is served, you may have some liability for any subsequent auto accidents. According to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.), social host liability can have a serious impact on party throwers. While a host may not liable for injuries sustained by a drunken guest, the host can be held liable for third parties, and may even be liable for passengers of the guest who have been injured in their car.
Also, keep in mind that alcohol-impaired driving crashes increased by 4.6 percent in 2012 and they accounted for 31 percent of overall fatalities, reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
To help prevent future crashes and social host liability exposure, GEICO, along with NHTSA, recommends the following tips for football fans:
If you're hosting a party:
- Make sure that your guests have a designated driver in advance or help to arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
- Serve lots of food and be sure to include plenty of non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
- Keep the numbers for local cab companies on file and take the keys away from anyone who may be willing to drive while impaired.
- Remember, under some state social liability laws, you can be held responsible if your guests drink and drive.
If you're attending a party:
- Assign a designated driver before the party begins and give that person your car keys.
- Pace yourself and avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Eat enough food and alternate drinks with non-alcoholic beverages.
- If you don't have a designated driver, call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you; or just stay where you are until you are sober.
- Remember to always use your seat belt – it's your best defense against impaired drivers.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.