GEICO says stay financially fit with an annual insurance review
WASHINGTON, April 30, 2014 – While tax season may be over, spring is the perfect time to reassess your finances and perform an insurance check-up. April is Financial Literacy Month, and GEICO wants you to stay covered and protected with the help of healthy financial decisions and the right insurance policy.
Whether it's for your car, home or piece of mind, make sure you have the right coverage that will protect you and your assets. The Property Casualty Insurers Association of America offers a simple checklist for assessing your current insurance policies:
- Talk with your insurance company annually to update your policy, especially after an important life event.
- Make sure you understand your existing insurance policies and what they cover. Remember: homeowners insurance doesn't cover flood or earthquake damage.
- Perform a home inventory by taking pictures of your home's interiors and making lists of the contents in each room.
- Assess the risk associated with your home, car, or other valuable assets and consider if you need additional coverage.
- Create a defensible space around your home by clearing brush, debris and foliage to reduce the threat of fire or storm damage to your home, cars and property.
- Create a family evacuation plan in case of an emergency that includes a list of what you will need to take with you.
Are you new to buying insurance or just starting on your own? GEICO is here to help with free resources and information about staying on budget while still staying smart. If you want to review or change your GEICO policies, call to talk to one of our friendly representatives or manage your policy online or with our free mobile app.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 14 million private passenger customers and insures more than 23 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.