GEICO's "DO's and DON'Ts" for traveling safe on Independence Day
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 27, 2014 – Red, white, and blue will soon be streaming in the air. It's almost July 4, 2014, and whether it's a picnic, family get-together, parade, fireworks show or a party, people will be traveling to celebrate Independence Day.
With that in mind, GEICO urges drivers to take precautions before traveling for the long, holiday weekend to help keep accidents and fatalities well below average levels.
Among GEICO's top Do's and Don'ts to help drivers stay safe:
- DO click it, otherwise it's a ticket. Seat belts are an absolute must.
- DO account for your own driving and pay attention to what's ahead of you.
- DO prepare before leaving: Create a playlist, eat food, memorize directions, and finish dressing and putting on makeup before you get in the car.
- DO plan according to weather and traffic so you don't need to rush.
- DO pack suitcases neatly in the car. The back window should be visible.
- DO check the pressure of your tires and fill the gas tank.
- DO take breaks. Fatigue really can be a killer. Switch drivers if needed.
- DON'T use your cellphone when driving. Pull over and use your phone if there's a call you want to make or you want to take a text message.
- DON'T drink and drive. Establish non-drinking drivers for your trip.
- DON'T be silent. If something is wrong with your overindulged driver, don't hesitate to say something. Better yet take the keys and get behind the wheel yourself.
- DON'T leave anyone behind. Leaving children, pets, or anyone alone in the car in the traditional 4th of July heat can be deadly.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.