GEICO reminds consumers to look out for flood damage when buying a used vehicle
WASHINGTON, D.C., Oct. 8, 2014 – Several regions of the United States have been bailing out after storms this summer, which means that some auto sales lots could become awash in flooded cars. Smart shoppers will want to take a look at these reminders from GEICO to make sure they don't drive off with a rust-laced vehicle:
- Order a vehicle history report – Search online services that offer detailed vehicle history, such as the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System.
- Check the vehicle's VIN – The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) offers VINCheck, a free database that determines if a vehicle has been reported as stolen or salvaged.
- Check with your DMV – Go to your state's department of motor vehicles and request a title history report on the vehicle.
- Look carefully at the title – Take note if the car has been titled several times over a short period or has been registered in a flood-affected area.
- Have a professional take a look – Take the vehicle to a trusted mechanic to inspect it for flood damage before you purchase it.
- Examine the vehicle yourself – check the spare tire well for standing water and be leery if a car smells musty or moldy or shows signs of rust. Also be suspicious of vehicles with recently shampooed carpets or brand new upholstery.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.