GEICO has tips to help fans enjoy the big game and stay safe
WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 29, 2015 – Fans have no doubt ordered their championship gear and begun making party plans for Feb. 1. There are two big questions on GEICO's mind for the day: 1) will fans watch the Puppy Bowl for pre-game entertainment? 2) More importantly, does everyone have plans in place to get home safely from parties after the big game?
Both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and GEICO have some tips that can help keep this Sunday safe and memorable.
- Think about meeting friends to watch the game at a local restaurant or pub. Keep it close to home and take public transportation or call a cab to get you home.
- If you're hosting a party, serve plenty of food as well as non-alcoholic drinks. Check out some of GEICO's favorite recipes on the GEICO blog.
- Keep the food flowing heartily throughout the day. Think Hobbits, Shire, Middle Earth: breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, supper, and dinner.
- Who's the designated sober driver? That means no alcohol.
- Don't let party guests try to make it home on their own if they've over-indulged. Put the designated driver to work or call a cab.
Those holding parties need to know that if a guest drives impaired and causes an accident with property damage, injuries or death, the host who served the alcohol could be held liable and criminally charged.
Likewise, drunk drivers can face severe penalties as well. The cost of a DUI conviction by itself can run up to $10,000 or more after accounting for fines, court costs, lawyer fees and sharp increases in insurance rates.
For more safety tips, visit GEICO's auto safety library at https://www.geico.com/information/safety/.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 16 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 27 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through GEICO Mobile, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.