GEICO has tips to help fans enjoy the big game and stay safe
WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 29, 2015 – Fans have no doubt ordered their championship gear and begun making party plans for Feb. 1. There are two big questions on GEICO's mind for the day: 1) will fans watch the Puppy Bowl for pre-game entertainment? 2) More importantly, does everyone have plans in place to get home safely from parties after the big game?
Both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and GEICO have some tips that can help keep this Sunday safe and memorable.
- Think about meeting friends to watch the game at a local restaurant or pub. Keep it close to home and take public transportation or call a cab to get you home.
- If you're hosting a party, serve plenty of food as well as non-alcoholic drinks. Check out some of GEICO's favorite recipes on the GEICO blog.
- Keep the food flowing heartily throughout the day. Think Hobbits, Shire, Middle Earth: breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, supper, and dinner.
- Who's the designated sober driver? That means no alcohol.
- Don't let party guests try to make it home on their own if they've over-indulged. Put the designated driver to work or call a cab.
Those holding parties need to know that if a guest drives impaired and causes an accident with property damage, injuries or death, the host who served the alcohol could be held liable and criminally charged.
Likewise, drunk drivers can face severe penalties as well. The cost of a DUI conviction by itself can run up to $10,000 or more after accounting for fines, court costs, lawyer fees and sharp increases in insurance rates.
For more safety tips, visit GEICO's auto safety library at https://www.geico.com/information/safety/.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 27 million vehicles.
To make changes, report claims, print insurance cards and purchase additional products, policyholders can log into their car insurance policy, connect via GEICO Mobile, phone or by visiting a GEICO local agent.
Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft and life coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available.
Visit www.geico.com for a quote or to learn more.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.