GEICO: wildfire safety and preparedness begins at home
WASHINGTON, D.C., May 18, 2015 – Across the country, wildfires greedily consume acres of vegetation and homes each year. With eight new wildfires reported last week alone and severe drought conditions across the country, GEICO urges home and vehicle owners to protect their property and family by preparing now.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III) and National Interagency Fire Center, 63,312 wildfires burned approximately 3.6 million acres in 2014, and, as of May 1, 2015, 15,576 wildfires have burned 318,949 acres in the U.S.
While wildfires may be difficult to predict and contain, there are steps that you can take at home to help reduce the chance of the fire spreading to your property. GEICO recommends:
- Create a defensible space around your home to reduce damage using rock or stone walls, patios, and swimming pools.
- Cut back brush and clear dead foliage that can quickly catch fire.
- Plant fire-resistant plants, such as high moisture plants that grow close to the ground.
- Select building materials that resist fire, such as stone and brick.
- Make sure your driveway is clear to make a safe exit and allow fire vehicles to get to your home.
- Plan several escape routes away from your home and move your vehicles to safety if threatened.
- Keep handy household items that can be used as fire tools: a rake, axe, handsaw or chainsaw, bucket, and shovel.
GEICO policyholders can log onto GEICO's Claims Center, call (800) 841-3000 or use the new GEICO Mobile App to report a claim 24 hours a day. Commercial vehicle policy holders can call (866) 509-9444 to report a claim at any time.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger car insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of car insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 16 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 27 million vehicles (car & cycle).
GEICO policyholders can make policy changes, report claims, print insurance ID cards, and purchase additional products by logging into their car insurance policy. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through GEICO Mobile, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial car insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.