GEICO urges Florida and Gulf Coast residents to get hurricane-ready
Lakeland, Fla., June 21, 2016 – According to the National Weather Service, Florida experiences the highest frequency of thunderstorms in the U.S., averaging from 80 to 100 storms annually. Luckily, these storms don't always transform into a hurricane. With that in mind, GEICO is recommending that residents in storm-prone areas double-check their level of preparedness and get their action plan in place.
Here's how to prepare now:
- Load up your emergency kit. This will all come in handy: a three-day supply of drinking water (one gallon per person) and non-perishable food, an emergency contact list, flashlights, essential medicines, sleeping bags and a first aid kit. Don't forget to include a battery-powered weather radio, a portable cell phone charger and copies of important documents.
- Create an emergency communications plan for your household. You can use Ready.gov as a good resource. Designate a safe location in your house for the household to gather during the storm. Also, identify familiar places outside of your town where family members can go to reunite. Remember to have regular household meetings and practice your plan in advance.
- Find out how your state agencies communicate with the public about severe weather, road closures and emergency support. Monitor weather updates continuously and pay close attention to official emergency announcements.
- Keep small cash bills and coins on hand just in case banks and ATM's are closed for an indefinite period. Build an emergency fund in the bank that can help cover insurance deductibles, basic home and vehicle repairs, and other necessities.
- Update your insurance coverage, making sure you have the right type and right amount of coverage. Protect your home from flood damage with a policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Under this program, insurance companies issue flood insurance and the federal government administers the program.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger car insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of car insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 16 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 27 million vehicles (car & cycle).
GEICO policyholders can make policy changes, report claims, print insurance ID cards, and purchase additional products by logging into their car insurance policy. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through GEICO Mobile, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial car insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.