Don't make your vehicle a target - GEICO offers tips on how to prevent auto theft
Washington, D.C., Aug. 27, 2016 – Imagine parking your car only to return later and discover it had been stolen. This is a situation nobody wishes to experience and GEICO would like to help you prevent it from happening.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about half of vehicle thefts are a result of driver error. GEICO encourages you to take proper precautions to make your vehicle less of a target using the following tips:
- Be mindful of where you park your vehicle – observe your surroundings before parking. Choose an area that is well lit. When available, park in a supervised lot or covered garage. It may cost you a few extra bucks, but the added protection and peace of mind it offers is well worth it.
- Secure your vehicle – remove keys, close all windows, lock doors and activate car alarm when exiting your vehicle. Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Don't leave any items in plain view – remove shopping bags, electronics, GPS devices and accessories, and other valuables that may entice a thief. Store items in the trunk when away from your vehicle.
- Take advantage of anti-theft features – use car-disabling locks and tracking systems. If your car did not come pre-equip with such features, consider installing them for added protection.
- Don't store vehicle title in the car – if a thief can produce a valid auto registration it can make it easier for them to get away with the crime. Keep important car documents in your wallet or in a secret location in the car that only the owners know.
In the event that your car is stolen, immediately call the police. Once a police report has been filed, contact your auto insurer to place a claim.
Visit GEICO's Information Center for more information on preventing auto theft.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.