GEICO Quick Quiz: Can you spot major causes of teen crashes and injuries?
WASHINGTON, D.C., October 20, 2016 – It's National Teen Driver Safety Week, and teens may not be aware of the major causes of crash injuries among young drivers and their passengers.
Let's see if you can pick them out:
- Picking up Mike, John and Mary and Susan on the way to the game
- Taking a cat nap while between lights
- Merging onto highways
- Checking out the SAT review book on the way to the test
- Racing to your part-time job because you're running late
- Deciding a hard lemonade wouldn't register a very high BAC level
- Running a stop sign
- Dropping your books over the safety belt buckle and taking off
- Checking and double-checking the GPS settings because you're sure you're lost
- Passing school buses stopped to pick up students
GEICO joins the Property Casualty Insurers Assn. of America (PCI) in advocating that parents take time this week and every week to discuss with their teen five major dangers that young drivers may be facing—distracted driving, lack of seatbelt use, speeding, impaired driving and extra passengers.
Which makes these the most dangerous behaviors from the list above:
1. Picking up Mike, John, Mary and Susan on the way to the game [extra passengers]
4. Checking out the SAT review book on the way to SAT test [distracted driving]
5. Racing to your part-time job because you're running late [speeding]
6. Deciding a hard lemonade wouldn't register a very high BAC level [impaired driving—any BAC level at all for those under age 21 is illegal]
8. Dropping your books over the safety belts and taking off [lack of seatbelt use]
9. Checking and double-checking GPS settings because you're sure you're lost [distracted driving]
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 28 million vehicles.
To make changes, report claims, print insurance cards and purchase additional products, policyholders can log into their car insurance policy, connect via GEICO Mobile, phone or by visiting a GEICO local agent.
Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft and life coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available.
Visit www.geico.com for a quote or to learn more.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.