GEICO Quick Quiz: Can you spot major causes of teen crashes and injuries?
WASHINGTON, D.C., October 20, 2016 – It's National Teen Driver Safety Week, and teens may not be aware of the major causes of crash injuries among young drivers and their passengers.
Let's see if you can pick them out:
- Picking up Mike, John and Mary and Susan on the way to the game
- Taking a cat nap while between lights
- Merging onto highways
- Checking out the SAT review book on the way to the test
- Racing to your part-time job because you're running late
- Deciding a hard lemonade wouldn't register a very high BAC level
- Running a stop sign
- Dropping your books over the safety belt buckle and taking off
- Checking and double-checking the GPS settings because you're sure you're lost
- Passing school buses stopped to pick up students
GEICO joins the Property Casualty Insurers Assn. of America (PCI) in advocating that parents take time this week and every week to discuss with their teen five major dangers that young drivers may be facing—distracted driving, lack of seatbelt use, speeding, impaired driving and extra passengers.
Which makes these the most dangerous behaviors from the list above:
1. Picking up Mike, John, Mary and Susan on the way to the game [extra passengers]
4. Checking out the SAT review book on the way to SAT test [distracted driving]
5. Racing to your part-time job because you're running late [speeding]
6. Deciding a hard lemonade wouldn't register a very high BAC level [impaired driving—any BAC level at all for those under age 21 is illegal]
8. Dropping your books over the safety belts and taking off [lack of seatbelt use]
9. Checking and double-checking GPS settings because you're sure you're lost [distracted driving]
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.