GEICO tip: don't let texting and driving run in your family
WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 19, 2016 – Because parents greatly influence how their children drive according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), GEICO encourages parents to lead by example. GEICO's message during National Teens Don't Text and Drive Week and every week is don't let texting and driving run in your family.
GEICO reminds teens and their parents of the very real dangers of texting while driving:
- Texting while driving S-L-O-W-S response times to hazards
- It can cause inattention blindness, which leads to drivers missing objects directly in front of them
- It changes brain activity, which could cause driving mistakes
To guard against smartphone use while driving, GEICO asks all drivers to take the following steps:
- Set smartphones to silent or 'do not disturb'
- Stow away smartphones in a safe, out-of-reach place such as the trunk or a backpack
- Program GPS destinations while the car is still parked
- Create a playlist of your favorite tunes so you don't have to 'DJ while driving'
- Pull over in a safe spot to use a phone if necessary
For more safe driving tips, visit GEICO's safe driving resources center.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.