GEICO offers tips on how to help prevent vehicle theft
WASHINGTON D.C., June 19, 2017 – According to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports, there were 707,758 motor vehicle thefts reported in 2015 (latest data available), an increase of 3.1 percent when compared with the 2014 estimates, the first increase in stolen vehicles in the last 12 years.
Summertime habits to relieve the heat may make you an easy target for theft. These suggestions from GEICO could help protect you and your property.
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
- If confronted by a carjacker, do not resist. Cars can be replaced; you can't.
- When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Close all the windows and the sunroof.
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Park it in a well-lit area if possible.
- Leave your car in park or in gear with the wheels turned toward the curb or some other obstruction. This makes it harder for thieves to tow your vehicle.
- Look around. Be aware of your surroundings, especially in garages, parking lots and gas stations.
- Avoid leaving valuables inside your vehicle where passersby can see them.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn't have one.
- Thieves are reluctant to steal vehicles if they know the cars can be recovered quickly.
- Be aware, too, that some new cars come with passive alarms that activate automatically when the key is removed from the ignition.
Motorcycles are no exception. National Insurance Crime Bureau's latest report shows a 2 percent increase in stolen motorcycles from 2015. The most effective way to protect your motorcycle is to lock it up, even while stored in a garage. NICB does note that many manufacturers offer alarm systems similar to those for automobiles.
Click on the following links to review coverage 24 hours a day by calling (800) 841-3000, or use GEICO's mobile app anytime day or night. If you need more information or to report a claim, log onto GEICO.com. Click for additional information on theft prevention or what to do after an auto theft.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 16 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 27 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through GEICO Mobile, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.