GEICO's CAT teams on standby for Tropical Storm Nate
LAKELAND, Fla., Oct. 6, 2017 – GEICO's Catastrophe Claims Response Team (CAT) is on standby and ready to assist as Tropical Storm Nate moves through the northwest Caribbean Sea. As Tropical Storm Nate nears the U.S. Gulf Coast it could become a Category 1 hurricane with wind speeds from 74 to 95 miles per hour or greater.
GEICO urges policyholders to take all necessary steps to protect their families, their homes and their vehicles prior to the storm.
Report any losses as early as possible on GEICO mobile, GEICO.com or call (800) 841-3000 as soon as any storm damage affects them. Our goal is to quickly help get people back on the road.
If you should get caught in heavy rains remember:
- Avoid walking or driving through high water – Six inches of moving water can knock you down, and a foot can sweep your vehicle away according to Ready.gov.
- Reduce your speed – If you need to drive in the rain, reducing your speed reduces the chances of hydroplaning. If you hydroplane, immediately take your foot off the accelerator. A rotating tire has traction, while a sliding one does not.
- Maintain a safe distance – Increasing the distance you would normally have between the vehicle ahead reduces the chance of a collision.
- Turn on your headlamps – Simply turning on your headlamps makes you more visible to others.
- When to abandon the car – Ready.gov recommends that you only abandon your vehicle if the flood water is rising around your vehicle, but is not moving. Then proceed to higher ground.
Additional information is available from GEICO's online Catastrophe Center with preparedness tips, links to other important hurricane information, and GEICO's Catastrophe Response Team. For a complete hurricane preparation checklist, go to GEICO More and additional tips. Should you need to evacuate please click on Safe Driving In Heavy Rain and Getting Your Home Flood-Ready.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger car insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of car insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 16 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 27 million vehicles (car & cycle).
GEICO policyholders can make policy changes, report claims, print insurance ID cards, and purchase additional products by logging into their car insurance policy. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through GEICO Mobile, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial car insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.