GEICO recommends protection from insurance fraud
WASHINGTON, D.C. Nov.1, 2017 – Insurance fraud is a billion dollar industry that includes not only automobile damage but medical and property claims as well. Douglas Shiring, director of GEICO's special investigative unit, said, "The best way to avoid getting caught up in an auto insurance scam is to know how to protect yourself as best you can."
According to The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), the most common staged accidents include the Swoop and Squat, Side Swipe, Panic Stop and the Drive Down. The common themes in all of the scenarios are multiple vehicles and multiple people claiming injuries in the vehicle or outside assisting in the scheme.
Here's how to protect yourself from some of those scenarios:
- Do not tailgate – Criminals will brake unexpectedly in front of tailgaters to intentionally cause an accident. Look out for vehicles that brake suddenly for no apparent reason.
- Call the police to the scene – Beware of anyone who is anxious to leave quickly before police arrive.
- Take photos – Take photos of the vehicles involved and the accident scene.
- Document – Record names, addresses, license plate numbers, witness information, and any other facts you think might be important.
- Count – record the number of occupants in each involved vehicle.
- Personal injury claim – Be cautious of physicians who insist you file a personal injury claim after an accident, especially if you are not hurt.
- Unsolicited tows – Be wary of tow trucks that arrive on the scene without anyone having called service. GEICO has a local tow provider list so we can assist.
- If you suspect fraud, notify police or GEICO 1-800-824-5404 ext. 3313.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger auto insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of auto insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 15 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 24 million vehicles (auto & cycle).
Using GEICO's online service center, policyholders can purchase policies, make policy changes, report claims and print insurance ID cards. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through the GEICO App, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.