Let GEICO help you have the 'safe driving' talk during back-to-school season
WASHINGTON, D.C., Aug. 22 – As schools go back into session, GEICO wants to help new drivers stay safe during their commutes to class. With the new school year, traffic patterns change and there are unanticipated challenges to watch out for on the road, so here are five tips to help you coach your new driver through the changing traffic scene.
- Expect the unexpected: Those familiar roads present new obstacles when school starts up. Keep alert for small kids who may not cross in crosswalks, or school busses that have stop signs fully extended (since stopping applies to ALL lanes of traffic).
- "Early" is the new "on time": Building in a little extra time for the morning drive means there's less stress and less impulse to speed or drive through yellow lights.
- Remove distractions: Eyes on the road, phone put away, and attention on the surroundings. And don't forget to buckle up, even if you're only going a short distance!
- Get enough rest: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends teens get at least 8 hours of sleep and warns that drowsy driving can significantly slow reaction times.
- Watch out for school zones: Be aware of speed limits, follow directions from crossing guards, slow down near schools, and look out for kids walking.
Even experienced motorists have issues this time of year, so all drivers—not just teens—should take extra time and be extra cautious. The ABC's of good driving start with "Always Be Careful!"
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the second-largest private passenger car insurance company in the United States. GEICO, which was founded in 1936, provides millions of car insurance quotes to U.S. drivers annually. The company is pleased to serve more than 16 million private passenger customers, insuring more than 27 million vehicles (car & cycle).
GEICO policyholders can make policy changes, report claims, print insurance ID cards, and purchase additional products by logging into their car insurance policy. Policyholders can also connect to GEICO through GEICO Mobile, reach a representative over the phone or visit a GEICO local agent.
GEICO also provides insurance quotes on motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), boats, travel trailers and motorhomes (RVs). Coverage for life, homes and apartments is written by non-affiliated insurance companies and is secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial car insurance and personal umbrella protection are also available.
For more information, go to www.geico.com.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.