GEICO says put safe driving on the menu during Thanksgiving travel
WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 19, 2018 – Millions of people will hit the road to visit family and friends as the anticipation builds for Thanksgiving. To help have a safe holiday road trip, GEICO has the following tips for travelers.
- Check tire pressure: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, (NHTSA) one in four cars have at least one tire that's underinflated. Driving with tires at the incorrect pressure can cause a blowout risk. Look on the sidewall of the tire, or the label in the driver's side doorjamb of the car to see what the correct pressure is for your car's tires.
- Inspect wipers and washer fluid: Worn wiper blades smear water on the windshield, making visibility more limited. Also, consider topping off your vehicle's windshield washer fluid reservoir so you can clear the windshield whenever necessary.
- Fill up the gas tank: It helps to start a road trip with a full tank of gas since traffic conditions are often unpredictable, and delays can occur at any point.
Tips while driving
- Stick with the speed limit: With the increase in holiday traffic, it's important to take it easy out there and remember to drive defensively.
- Stay focused: Ask passengers to handle tasks like programming GPS destinations and setting up playlists. Always set phones to silent or do not disturb mode so notifications don't become distracting.
- Take breaks: Trying to push through hundreds of miles of driving in one sitting can lead to drowsiness, which slows reaction times and makes it hard to focus.
For more safe driving tips, visit GEICO's Safe Driving Resources page.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 27 million vehicles.
To make changes, report claims, print insurance cards and purchase additional products, policyholders can log into their car insurance policy, connect via GEICO Mobile, phone or by visiting a GEICO local agent.
Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft and life coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available.
Visit www.geico.com for a quote or to learn more.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.