GEICO asks small business owners: Are you ready for the crowds?
WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 24, 2018 – As the holidays ramp up, many small business owners will see a sharp increase in business--whether it's more people visiting your store or more of you and your employees making house calls. Here are a few tips from GEICO's Business Insurance team to make sure you're ready for those inevitable holiday crowds:
1) Floors: Winter weather often means rain, sleet, or snow. Protect your customers and your employees by making sure floors are dry and clear of hazards.
- Post "wet floor" signs in the entrance, and get a special entry mat that will absorb water. Remove any hazards that jut into aisles or may cause tripping.
- If your employees are on-the-go all day, the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends insulated and water resistant boots with good rubber treads, or rubber over-shoes with treads to help when walking on icy or snowy areas.
2) Holiday traffic: As traffic volume increases, patience decreases. Add that to icy or slick roads, and you get a lot more traffic incidents.
- Review with all employees the processes of what to do in the event of an accident.
- According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), every vehicle should have well-stocked emergency kit. Among other things, it should contain a first aid kit, road flares, flashlight with extra batteries, an ice scraper, and traction aids such as sand or cat litter for those encountering wintery conditions.
3) Insurance: With so much going on during the busy holiday season, it's important to protect yourself and your business with the right insurance coverage.
- Check to make sure you've got all the coverage you need for liability, workers' compensation, and commercial auto.
- Don't leave it to chance. You've worked hard to build your business, so you want to be covered when it matters most.
Want to learn more about GEICO's business insurance options? Check out GEICOCommercial.com to research and buy a policy online, or call one of our agents to walk through what you may need at 866-640-2658.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 27 million vehicles.
To make changes, report claims, print insurance cards and purchase additional products, policyholders can log into their car insurance policy, connect via GEICO Mobile, phone or by visiting a GEICO local agent.
Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft and life coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available.
Visit www.geico.com for a quote or to learn more.
Contact us 24/7 through our Mobile app, online, or by phone.