GEICO's tips on how to prepare before the hail
WASHINGTON, D.C., April 19, 2019 – Dark rolling clouds, high winds and a sudden drop in temperature may be the only warning you will get before a potential hailstorm. Big sweeping weather patterns makes spring a particularly volatile time of year for storms. In 2018, hailstorm activity spiked in May and June, with a reported 2,440 storms across the country.
GEICO wants to remind you that with some early preparation you could minimize the potential damage to your home and vehicles.
GEICO: 5 tips on how to prepare for hail
- Bring your animals inside.
- Trim trees and remove dead branches, especially those close to windows and skylights.
- Pick up debris and loose objects in the yard to minimize flying objects.
- Listen to your local weather station; often forecasters can predict when hail could be a factor.
- Put vehicles in garages or under some kind of shelter.
During the storm
- Simply seek shelter.
- Stay away from windows and remain indoors.
- Put as many walls as possible between you and the elements.
Historically, mountainous regions and high plains states are among the highest risk of hailstorms, and they include Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming.
Click the link to learn more about hail, safe driving in the heavy rain and GEICO's Catastrophe Response Team. If you have a loss, please report it as quickly as possible, using GEICO Mobile, log in at GEICO.com or call (800) 841-3000 24 hours a day.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 28 million vehicles.
To make changes, report claims, print insurance cards and purchase additional products, policyholders can log into their car insurance policy, connect via GEICO Mobile, phone or by visiting a GEICO local agent.
Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft and life coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available.
Visit www.geico.com for a quote or to learn more.