Prepare for hurricane season with GEICO's following reminders
Washington, D.C., July 11, 2019 – Colorado State University (CSU), has updated June's hurricane season report predicting 14-named storms, six hurricanes, and two major hurricanes in 2019. It only takes one to disrupt your life. GEICO wants to help you minimize your exposure and prepare for any hurricane season with the following helpful tips.
- Determine your risk – While the brunt of a hurricane's force often strikes coastal areas, its effects can reach hundreds of miles inland.
- Create an evacuation plan – Identify a safe place. It doesn't have to be hours away as long as it's out of the danger zone. Discuss how you will communicate should you become separated from your family and plan to get in touch with relatives.
- Create a home inventory – Make an inventory list and photograph your possessions. This will help to substantiate any losses and speed up the claims process if needed. Save important documents on your smartphone so they'll be handy if needed.
- Build a disaster kit– Include three days of water, medications, toiletries, cash, charging cables, blankets, batteries, and a radio. Add food when needed. Don't forget pet supplies.
- Fill your gas tank – If you need to evacuate, you want enough gas to get out of town.
- Avoid any low-lying areas – Park your vehicle on higher ground.
- Protect your car in a garage or parking shelter.
If you have a loss, please report it as quickly as possible, using GEICO Mobile. Log in at GEICO.com or call (800) 841-3000 24 hours a day. Learn about GEICO's Catastrophe Response Team and how we service severe storms. Please click the links for more detailed information on safe driving in the heavy rain and getting your home Flood-Ready.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 28 million vehicles in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. A member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, GEICO employs more than 43,000 associates countrywide. GEICO constantly strives to make lives better by protecting people against unexpected events while saving them money and providing an outstanding customer experience. Along with personal auto insurance, commercial auto and personal umbrella coverages are also available. Homeowners, renters, condo, flood, identity theft, term life, and more coverages are written through non-affiliated insurance companies and are secured through the GEICO Insurance Agency, Inc. Visit geico.com for a quote or to learn more.