Colorado Registration Information

The Centennial State

Moving to Colorado? Register your vehicle.

If you have recently moved to Colorado, you must apply for a Colorado title and registration for your vehicle within 30 days from establishing Colorado residency. You will need to apply in the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county where you reside.

The following documents are required:

  • Your out-of-state title, or current out-of-state registration.
  • If you live in Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Denver, Douglas, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer, Pitkin or Weld counties, you must show proof of a Colorado vehicle emissions test.
  • A vehicle identification verification form (DR 2087) completed by a law enforcement officer, a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer or a licensed Colorado emissions testing station.
  • A current and accurate odometer reading.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance coverage (insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company's letterhead paper).
  • If a lien exists on an out-of-state title, the lienholder's name and address must be provided if not shown on the out-of-state title or registration.

Once you arrive at the county Motor Vehicle office, you will need to pay the title and registration fees.

Your Colorado title will be mailed to you if there are no liens filed against the vehicle. If there is a lien, the title will be mailed to the lienholder. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.