Michigan Registration Information

The Great Lakes States

New to Michigan? Register your vehicle.

New Michigan residents must immediately title and register their vehicles at a Secretary of State branch office and turn in the title from their previous home state.

If your out-of-state title is being held by a lienholder or leasing company, you may take your previous state registration (it can be recently expired) or proof of your out-of-state title to any Secretary of State branch office along with proof of Michigan no-fault insurance for the vehicle. Michigan will issue a registration only for the vehicle. This will allow Michigan to issue a license plate without converting the out-of-state title to a Michigan title.