New Mexico Registration Information

The Land of Enchantment

Moved to New Mexico?

If you are taking up residency in New Mexico, you must surrender your license from any other state and apply for a New Mexico license within 30 days of moving to New Mexico.

To obtain a license, the DMV will need the following:

  • Your Social Security card.
  • Proof of identification and age.
  • Two proof-of-residence documents.
  • Certificate of completion of the "None for the Road" class for those age 18-24.
  • You must pass an eye test if you have a license from another state.

To obtain registration for your vehicle, the DMV will need the following:

  • Your certificate of title.
  • Your current certificate of registration from another state.
  • Your odometer reading to complete an odometer statement.
  • Proof of New Mexico residency and your New Mexico residential address.
  • Vehicle ID inspection certificate signed by a full-time law enforcement officer or by an employee at a local DMV field office.
  • Proof of insurance including policy number and insurance carrier name.