Texas Car Registration Information
Moving to the Lone Star State? Register your car in Texas.
Get A Texas Driver's License
New residents moving into Texas, who have a valid driver license from their home state, have 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license.
Applicants age 18 and over with a valid out-of-state driver license will be required to:
- Provide proof of Identity
- Provide proof of Social Security Number
- Provide proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle
- Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office
- Pay the required fee
- Pass a vision exam
- If you have a valid out-of-state license in your possession, it must be surrendered at the driver license office
When filing your application, please submit:
- A completed Application for Texas Certificate of Title, Form 130-U
- Original out-of-state title or current foreign or military ownership document
- A completed Form VTR-68-A and proof of compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation safety requirements if you have a foreign ownership document
- Vehicle Identification Certificate, issued by an approved safety inspection station
- Valid proof of liability insurance meeting Texas requirements
- The car's current odometer reading, if the vehicle is less than 10 model years old
- Sales or use tax verification if you have not previously registered the car in another state
Texas Auto Insurance
In addition to registering your car, now is a great time to learn about minimum insurance coverages and other state requirements for Texas auto insurance.
GEICO offers car insurance in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and all other cities and towns in Texas. Not already a GEICO policyholder? Get a Texas car insurance quote online.