Wisconsin Registration Information

The Badger State

New to Wisconsin? Register your vehicle.

You will need proof that you own the vehicle.

  • The vehicle title or registration card from your previous state of residence is acceptable proof.
  • If you submit your registration card as proof of ownership, Wisconsin law still requires a title fee. If you later submit a title to DMV, a Wisconsin title will be issued at no additional charge.
  • If you have owned your vehicle for less than 90 days, you will need to bring proof of sales tax paid to your former state of residence.

You will need to verify the identification number.

  • You will need to verify the identification number on the vehicle against the identification number shown on the title or certificate of registration when filling out the Wisconsin application for title and registration.

You must complete the MV1 application.

  • You may submit the MV1 application, along with the title or registration card and appropriate fees, by mail or at any DMV service center.
  • If you submit your title when you apply for Wisconsin license plates, you will be issued a Wisconsin title.
  • If you submit only a registration card with your application, you will be issued Wisconsin license plates and a registration card, which will allow you to operate the vehicle legally, but the registration card is not good for selling the vehicle.