Dealing With Damage To Your Car
If you've had an accident that caused damage to your vehicle and you have collision coverage, don't worry. GEICO will help get you back on the road quickly and safely.
If your car is damaged in an accident:
- Get yourself and your vehicle to a safe location (the shoulder of the road, a well-lit area). Your safety and the safety of your passengers is priority one.
- Exchange insurance information with any other drivers involved.
- Call the police for assistance.
- Know where your vehicle will be towed, if you were unable to drive it yourself.
- Once you and your vehicle are safe, call GEICO at 1-800-861-8380 to report the accident to us.
Get a Vehicle Damage Estimate
The first step in getting an estimate is to call us at 1-800-861-8380 to set up an appointment. The next step depends on whether or not your car is safe to drive. If you are in doubt then don't drive the car. If you know your car can be driven safely then we will set up time to bring your car into GEICO for a damage estimate.
At the GEICO inspection site, our auto damage adjuster will look at the extent of the damage and in many cases give you a vehicle damage estimate. This appointment typically takes about 30 minutes. In most cases, you'll receive payment for the estimated damage.
If your car is not safe to drive, we will dispatch a GEICO adjuster to look at your car at the location where it has been towed (think "K" above). You don't have to meet with our adjuster at the tow location unless you want to.
Choose a Repair Shop
Good news! You can have your vehicle repaired anywhere you wish.
If you would like our help when choosing a repair shop, consider using the GEICO Auto Repair Xpress® program. This exclusive program lets you enjoy the convenience of a one-stop-shop. With GEICO Auto Repair Xpress® - you can:
- Have the damage estimated.
- Obtain a rental car (your adjuster will advise if you have rental reimbursment coverage).
- Have your adjuster monitor the progress of the repairs.
- Enjoy the peace of mind that the damage repair work will be done right - guaranteed.
Interested? Find an Auto Repair Xpress location near you.
Schedule the Repairs
If your vehicle is safe to drive, you'll need to schedule the repairs with the repair shop you've chosen. Before you head into the shop:
- Call the shop to schedule a time to leave your vehicle. (Tip: Choose a drop-off time early in the week to avoid weekend delays.)
- Confirm that the shop has the necessary parts and is ready to begin repairs immediately.
- Ask the shop when the repairs will be completed.
Whether you go to a GEICO inspection location or an off-site location, be sure to:
- Bring your driver's license and vehicle registration.
- Bring receipts for any accident-related out-of-pocket expenses (tow bills, tire repair, etc.).
Get Back on the Road
You've waited patiently and the big day is finally here. It's time to reclaim your wheels! Before you pick up your car:
- Call the shop to verify that the repair work is complete.
- Check the repaired area to be sure you're satisfied with the work.
- If you find problems, speak up. Explain the issue to the repair shop immediately. If questions arise, call your GEICO adjuster—we've got your back!
- Settle the bill. Bring any checks you received from GEICO to cover the damage, and be prepared to pay any additional costs, such as your deductible.
This material is intended for general information only. It does not expand coverage beyond the policy contract. Please refer to your policy contract for any specific information or questions on applicability of coverage.