GEICO At A Glance
Want to find out just how many customers we serve? Interested in seeing proof of GEICO's financial strength? Just want to know what the heck GEICO stands for? You've come to the right place. Peruse the facts and figures here to find out everything you've ever wanted to know about GEICO corporate operations.
What does GEICO stand for?
Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military personnel. Today, of course, the company has grown to provide insurance to a wide range of customers, whether they're employed by Uncle Sam or the private sector.
How many customers does GEICO serve?
- More than 17 million auto policies in force and growing
- GEICO insures more than 28 million vehicles
Just The Stats On GEICO
- Tony Nicely, Executive Chairman
- Bill Roberts, Vice Chairman
- Todd Combs, President and CEO
- Second-largest private passenger auto insurer in the United States (A.M. Best)
- One of the fastest-growing major auto insurers in the U.S.
- Employs more than 40,000 associates
- Maintains 17 major offices around the country
- Provides 24-hour service, seven days a week, 365 days a year
- Seven affiliated companies to meet insurance needs of drivers
What's the connection with Berkshire Hathaway?
In 1996, GEICO became a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, headed by Warren Buffett, one of the country's most successful investors. For the past several years, Fortune magazine has named Berkshire's property-casualty insurance operation the most admired in the country.
Who vouches for GEICO's financial strength?
Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO) and its affiliate companies (GEICO General Insurance Company, GEICO Indemnity Company, GEICO Casualty Company, GEICO Advantage Insurance Company, GEICO Choice Insurance Company, GEICO County Mutual, and GEICO Secure Insurance Company) enjoy high ratings in the industry for financial strength and claims-paying ability:
- AA+ rating from Standard and Poor's
- Aa1 from Moody's
- A++ from A. M. Best
When and where to reach GEICO?
5260 Western Avenue, Chevy Chase, Md. 20815
One GEICO Plaza, Washington, D.C. 20076
- Buffalo, New York
- Dallas, Texas
- Fredericksburg, Virginia
- Lakeland, Florida
- Macon, Georgia
- San Diego, California
- Tucson, Arizona
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Woodbury, New York
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Kansas City, Kansas
- Iowa City, Iowa
- Houston, Texas
- Marlton, New Jersey
- Seattle, Washington
What does GEICO offer our men and women in uniform?
Since its founding in 1936, GEICO has worked to offer members of the U.S. military the most affordable insurance options. We continue to recognize the troops' important service to our country with special discount programs and service options, whether they are deployed domestically or abroad, in peacetime, or in times of conflict. GEICO is always committed to providing members of the military the service and respect that they deserve.
Does GEICO offer more than car insurance?
Indeed! In addition to auto insurance, GEICO can help you with:
- Motorcycle, ATV, RV, and Boat insurance
- Homeowners, Renters, Condo, Co-op, and Mobile Home insurance
- Personal Umbrella Protection
- Life insurance
- Flood insurance
- Overseas insurance
- Business Owners Policy
- Professional Liability insurance
- General Liability insurance
- Commercial Auto insurance
- Collector Car insurance
- Identity Protection
- Jewelry insurance
Information current as of June 2021